Being a woman, having the confidence to lift your arms without worrying whenever you want is priceless and this is the reason we recommend using a deodorant. In today’s market there are over two thousand different brands of deodorants. All with different scents, some are waterproof, some last longer, while others can stop you from sweating all together. If you are in need of a new brand of deodorant you won’t have to look far for a new brand. But all these new and old brands make it really hard for you to choose the best deodorant for women. We have made this easier for you. We have researched and picked the best deodorant for women for you.
2 key reasons that’s why women use deodorant
When you sweat, it’s not just salt and water. There are some glands that release fatty acid or in kitchen terms, fat. Now when the sweaty place gets a lot of air, it’s alright. The problem begins when it doesn’t, for example the arm pit. Bacteria start to grow feeding on the fat released and the process releases odor. The quick way around this is using a deodorant that has bacteria terminating capability. You can also use an antiperspirant to stop sweating in the first place but not all will recommend this as perspiration is a natural process and helps controlling the body temperature.
Moving around with a wet patch under your arms is not the most pleasant of situations to be in and many women go around this by using an antiperspirant. Antiperspirants block away the openings of the sweat glands and thus stop sweating.
Types of Deodorants
There are two types of deodorants – scented or unscented, and both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Scented can range from mild to strong and every brand have their own scent. Summer days are brightened by the smell of apple and jasmine among many others. Just a brief smell of the deodorant can give the wearer the confidence that they are fully protected.
- There is a lovely smell that will be around all day.
- With some brands the smell will be strong enough meaning it is possible to not wear perfume and still not offend family or colleagues.
- If the scent is too strong it could mean that there is an overabundance of fragrances.
- Some people suffer allergies and this can be exacerbated by a product in the deodorant.
Unscented may have less chemicals or additives but can be effective and pleasant to use. If you are using an expensive perfume, you need to use an unscented deodorant as a fragrant one will disrupt the original smell of the perfume and the mixed smell can often come out to be horrible.
- All people will be able to smell is your perfume
- There is no need to worry if you have sensitive skin as it will not be aggravated by the ingredients.
- While it may keep you fresh, there will be the need for it as well.
- As it has fewer chemicals, it will be better for sensitive skin.
- Some deodorants take a long time to dry and as a result can mess up your clothing and cause discomfort. Use quick drying deodorants instead.
- There are some deodorants that can cause irritation on your skin due to the harsh ingredients in them. Before purchasing one should check the product label carefully.
- If perspiration is the main reason for using deodorant then look for an antiperspirant one. It will block the sweat ducts, which will reduce perspiration as well as body odor.
- Deodorants are effective against body odor issues as they have bacteria fighting ingredients that minimize the growth of odor creating bacteria. However they are not as effective in preventing perspiration.
- Women who have sensitive skin got to be a bit careful when choosing one. Scented deodorants can often cause irritation due to the fragrance used in them. We recommend fragrance-free deodorants in these cases.
- Perspiration can’t be prevented by natural products. Natural ingredients thus only provide deodorizing benefits.
- Some deodorants leave white mark on your clothing but the best deodorants and antiperspirants will never put you in trouble with your appearance.
- If you are one of the many who suffer from smelling feet (from wearing socks and shoes all day), there are certain deodorants on the market produced for this reason only, for example,On Your Toes Foot Bactericide Powder
- If you want the smell of your perfume to flourish, you want to go with an unscented deodorant.
- Try to avoid deodorants with harmful ingredients like aluminum, triclosan, parabens, propylene glycol, Phthalates etc.
Deodorants come in many forms and types. To make it easier for you to decide which one you should go with, we have made recommendations for each type out there.
Deodorants and antiperspirants come in many forms and some will be more environmentally friendly than others. Aerosols are in this category although there have been improvements made in an attempt to reduce the impact over recent years.
- It is less likely that there will be white stains appearing on clothes when using an aerosol.
- It dries quickly and can also be washed away if necessary.
- Due to the fact there is a spray, it is easier to apply than a stick or cream.
- A lot of the content of your aerosol will be wasted.
- If the aim is not good, the area that was meant to be sprayed could be missed and under certain circumstances there could be deodorant inhaled or sprayed into the eyes.
Our top 3 pick
This is the most popular form of deodorant and it will be easy to find when shopping as most stores are full of them. It is one of the first types of deodorant to be marketed and its longevity shows its effectiveness.
- As it is held close to the armpits it is easy to apply.
- You only put on as much as you need so it will be cost effective
- As too much will not be applied, with a scented one it will not be overpowering.
- It is heavier than other forms of deodorant and so can sometimes feel a little sticky and mean that time has to pass before dressing.
Our top 3 pick:
- Crystal Body Stick Deodorant
- Donna Karan Cashmere Mist By Donna Karan
- Oscar Deodorant Antitranspirant Stick for Women
Gel deodorants are high on the list of popular forms of odor control and they are applied in the same way as stick deodorants and as with other products have their good and bad points.
- Dressing right away is not an issue as gel does not leave white marks on clothes.
- As the gel comes through a nozzle, it is easy to apply where it is required and it has been proven to be as effective as any other form of hygiene control.
- The only problem could be if a hole becomes blocked, there will not be an even distribution of gel and certain areas will not be protected.
Our top 3 pick:
- Secret Outlast Women’s Clear Gel
- Secret Clinical Strength Clear Gel Women’s Antiperspirant
- Mitchum Anti-Perspirant & Deodorant for Women
Normally a cream will have the appearance and texture of body butter and can be used by men or women. The cream is soft and easy to apply so no extra time is required to put it on in the morning.
- The cream deodorant is easy to use
- It is one of the more environmentally friendly products because there’s no spray involved.
- It is soft so does not aggravate the skin and can be spread evenly where required.
As the hands are used when applying it can be a bit messier than using a product with a container.
Our top 3 pick:
- Natural Deodorant for Women Citrus
- DeodoMom Jar – A Hypoallergenic Cream Deodorant
- Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden
Roll On Liquid
Roll on deodorants are becoming more popular and there are many different brands and flavors. It is used by men and women although it does seem that the woman’s section of the shelf gives a wider range of options. Scented or unscented variants are available so there should be no one who can’t use this form of protection.
- It is easy to use and there is no need to touch the ingredient.
- It is smooth when it is applied
- After a while there is not enough liquid to fully coat the ball used to apply the liquid and there has to be a bit of rolling around to get it to work.
Our top 3 pick:
- DeodoMom Roll-on – A Hypoallergenic Lotion Deodorant
- Certain Dri Anti Perspirant Roll On
- Arrid XX Antiperspirant/Deodorant Roll-On
5 Strange and Yet Effective Uses for Deodorant
1. Getting into tight jeans is going to be easier if a layer of deodorant is brushed down the legs.
2. If you are out of products to stop a hinge squeaking, rub a solid deodorant on and the squeak will stop right away.
3. After bad smells, zits are the number one problem that people want to prevent. The moisture draws out the “yuck” and fresh skin will return.
4. A bit of deodorant stops itching from insect bites.
5. To stop hair going frizzy, put deodorant round the hairline and keep the sweat away. Aerosols are not the best form to use.
It is clear that there are many products to choose from, so spend a bit of time finding out what is best for you. Just because an item is the most expensive it does not mean it will be the best for you. Then again, in most cases you’ll find the right one through trial and error unless you are really lucky.
A good deodorant can save you from a lot of embarrassments and you should always use one if there’s nothing stopping you. It’s not expensive either, is it?