Men now use deodorant as often as women do. Due to the make-up of their bodies and the fact that men are more likely to carry out strenuous work, the products they use have to be stronger and able to last for longer. Many companies that have made shower gels and other hygiene related items have begun to add deodorant. So there is a wide choice of items and each man needs to know what works best for them. There are the same choices that women have to make such as scented or unscented and spray product or cream applied to the skin by contact.
Why do Men Use Deodorants?
- Remove bad odor – Body odor is as unacceptable on a man as on a woman. It makes it difficult to be around someone and if you work in close proximity to others, bad odor should be combated at all costs. Fortunately, most men are on board and look for the best product then can find.
- Combat sweating – Sweat is very smelly and unpleasant and deodorants can keep dark stains away from a man’s shirt. Big wet patches are horrible to look at and must be uncomfortable to have, but it is natural and the way the body keeps cool.
- Eliminate bacteria – Deodorants are useful when it comes to the elimination of bacteria that trigger bad odor. When bacteria react with sweat, the result is bad stench that makes it hard for you to be around others. The alcohol in the best deodorants for men turns their skin acidic, which successfully removes bacteria.
Characteristics of a good deodorant for men
- Makes you smell fresh the whole day. Although many deodorants for men claim to last for twenty-four to forty-eight hours, we find that absurd and exaggerated. All the same, our advice is that you choose a product that does not need frequent re-application all through the day.
- Is good at fighting off bad odor that is triggered by sweat. It must work whether or not you are engaging in a strenuous physical activity.
- Does not mess up your clothing with the yellow stubborn stain or white marks.
- It is not a slow-drying deodorant. Many products of this nature are uncomfortable and known for messing clothing.
- Smells good. Every man should pick the deodorant that has the sweetest aroma according to his own liking.
- Should be packed in a manner that is easy to use even if a man is in a hurry.
Five deodorants a man can find
Five of the most commonly available forms include:
1. Aerosol Spray
Sprays have been around for many years and can be purchased with or without a scent. The spray can be held a good few inches away from the arm pits and still land where it is wanted. It is easy to use but does tend to come in larger sizes than a number of other products.
- There is no direct contact made with the skin by anything other than the deodorant.
- Easy to use and there is no risk that it will clog.
- Unlike some other items it will not be overly sticky
- There are concerns that the use of sprays will damage the ozone layer
- It is not always possible to get a perfect aim.
Most stores will sell a variety of stick deodorants and there is bound to be one that you can use and will work perfectly with your skin. It can be a bit thick when applied, and that is something to bear in mind when making a decision.
- It can be placed directly to the skin so the areas that most need protection can be reached
- It can be scented or unscented, so you can still use other toiletries if you want to
- It is easy to use and conveniently packaged.
- As it is thick, it can be a little bit sticky for some time after use and this may mean a delay has to be taken before getting dressed.
Although this is not as readily available as stick deodorants, it is just as effective and almost as popular with men. When it comes to preventing unpleasant smells, and stopping sweat getting out of control, the gel is transferred through holes in the tube. And you do not have to worry if you can wear dark clothes when using it, as you can do it.
- No residue left so that black shirt can be put on right away.
- Due to the size of the holes, there is no need to worry that a lot will shoot out.
- It is just as good as all other products
It can work out expensive as if the gel clogs up the holes, there is not a lot that can be done and the product has to be replaced.
Although not as popular as other deodorants, there are still men who prefer their protection to be provided this way. As the name suggests, it is light and soft, and in some cases it can be so soft that it is almost a liquid.
- As there is no aerosol involved, it is considered to be very environmentally friendly
- They are easier to apply as the dispensers are easier to use.
- Due to being a cream they will be gentle on the skin and absorb well.
- There are concerns – basically unfounded – that as cream deodorants are so gentle they will not be as effective.
5. Roll-on Liquid
There will be some men who want to use roll on liquid, and it is easy to understand why. It is easy to apply and will not be thick and risk clogging up the container. It can be scented or scent free and free users have complained of side effects or problems.
- It is smooth and gentle on the skin, meaning the majority of men can use it safely
- Easy to use as it is place directly on the skin from the container rather than via the hand or a spray.
- It won’t leave marks on clothes
- Unless there is a certain product involved that causes an allergy, there are no cons to this form of deodorant.
How to boost the effectiveness of your deodorant
- As there are many apocrine glands in your armpits, ensure that they are very clean. Use an anti-bacterial soap to wash your armpits to reduce the amount of bacteria that cause body odor. As hair slows down the evaporation of sweat, giving bacteria more time to disintegrate it into smelly toxins, always keep your armpits shaven.
- If you sweat profusely under your arms, perhaps you can get botulibum toxin injections in the armpits even as you use your deodorant. A procedure that only takes quarter to an hour, botulinum toxin treatment involves twelve injections. The toxin that is injected into the skin alters the way the brain communicates with your sweat glands.
- Kill bacteria by having at least one warm bath per day.
- Buy clothing that are made of natural fibers like silk, cotton and wool as they let your skin breathe and remove sweat quickly.
- Keep away from spicy foods, cooked with garlic, for instance, as they worsen the sharpness of your sweat odor.
- Choose deodorants containing aluminum chloride.
With such as wide range of choices, it should be easy to find a product that will work not only with sweat but also one that could keep your clothes clean and stain free. Most types will be available as scented or unscented.
Not using deodorants is not an option in this day and age. Men and women can attest to this fact.